Cancer risk factors are things that put you at higher risk for having cancer. Breast cancer risk factors may include:
- Age: the risk for breast cancer goes up as you get older
- Your health history: having had breast cancer in the past increases the risk for having breast cancer in the future
- Getting your first period early: women who got their first period before age 12 have a higher risk for breast cancer than women who got their first period after age 12
- Having a close family member who has had breast cancer: you have a greater chance of having breast cancer if your mother, sister, or daughter has had breast cancer
- Race: white women are at higher risk for breast cancer than are women of other races
Be sure to talk with your healthcare provider about your risk factors for breast cancer.
To the right are examples of organizations and resources you may find helpful. Click on the links to visit those websites and learn more.